Thursday, August 20, 2009

Song from the Ausbund - Man, Are You Tired of Being Sad?



MARTYRS MIRROR of the DEFENSELESS CHRISTIANS

Man, are you tired of being sad? Start doing what is right. Sin brings eternal pain, and one needs to fight it. Be serious! Get to know yourself first. Purify your heart and be humble. Then men may call you great.

It is difficult for the one who loves to talk to get to know himself. If he would think of who he is, he would not have so much to say. Look at yourself! Leave the rest. Do not gossip. Be quiet . . . so that in the end you may not be put to shame. What you measure out will be measured to you. Christ treats all men fairly. No sin remains unpunished. Therefore fear God and keep his commands. No good deed remains without its reward. Pray for grace, early and late, and pray that we may be spared. If you want to be saved, keep away from sin! To be carnally minded is death. Leave the world! Leave your possessions! Leave your goods and your money! The one who thinks of death chooses the best and Christ earns grace for him.

God will not forsake the one who lives in the truth. God is ready to hear us if we hate sin. Oh Jesus Christ, it is your spirit that comforts us. Do not leave us! Be merciful to us and intercede for us . . . as we near the end of time.
-- Othmar Roth, Sankt Gallen in Switzerland, 1532, Ausbund 58

The *Ausbund of inspirational Christian poems, being used only by the Amish today, is the world's oldest hymnbook still in continuous use. It became the most famous worship book for Anabaptists soon after imprisoned Christians began writing it between 1535 and 1540.

Why am I so sad? Why am I so troubled? I will put my hope in God, and once again I will praise him, my savior and my God. Psalm 42:11

The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.
Psalm 34:18

Base your happiness on your hope in Christ. When trials come, endure them patiently; steadfastly maintain the habit of prayer. Romans 12:12

When you pass through deep waters, I will be with you, your troubles will not overwhelm you." Isaiah 43: 1, 2

His peace will keep your thoughts and your hearts quiet and at rest as you trust in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:7

Praise the Lord, O my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name. Praise the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits. He forgives all my sins and heals all my diseases; he redeems my life from the pit and crowns me with love and compassion. He satisfies my desires with good things, so that my youth is renewed like the eagles.
Psalm 103:1-5

My people shall be satisfied with my goodness, says the Lord. Jeremiah 31:14

We are able to hold our heads high no matter what happens and know that all is well; for we know how dearly God loves us, and we feel this warm love everywhere within us, because God has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with his love. Romans 5:5

Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy.
Psalm 126:5

Tears may flow in the night, but joy comes in the morning. Psalm 30:5

I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. Psalm 40:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Author of This Blog