Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Poem - My Guardian Angel




My Guardian Angel
by Robert William Service*

When looking back I dimly see
The trails my feet have trod,
Some hand divine, it seems to me,
Has pulled the strings with God;
Some angel form has lifeward leaned
When hope for me was past;
Some love sublime has intervened
To save me at the last.

For look you! I was born a fool,
Damnation was my fate;
My lot to drivel and to drool,
Egregious and frutrate.
But in the deep of my despair,
When dark my doom was writ,
Some saving hand was always there
to pull me from the Pit.

A Guardian Angel - how absurd!
I scoff at Power Divine.
And yet . . . a someone spoke the word
That willed me from the swine.
And yet, despite my scorn of prayer,
My lack of love or friend,
I know a Presence will be there,
To save me at the end.


But the Lord is faithful, who shall stablish you, and keep {you} from evil. 11Thessalonians 3:3

When thou passest through the waters, I {will be} with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee. Isaiah 43:2

For the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to shew himself strong in the behalf of {them} whose heart {is} perfect toward him. 11Chronicles 16:9a

He will keep the feet of his saints, and the wicked shall be silent in darkness; for by strength shall no man prevail. 1 Samuel 2:9

For thou hast been a shelter for me, {and} a strong tower from the enemy. Psalms 61:3

For the eyes of the Lord {are} over the righteous, and his ears {are open} unto their prayers: but the face of the Lord {is} against them that do evil. And who {is} he that will harm you, if ye be followers of that which is good? 1 Peter 3:12-13

The eternal God {is thy} refuge, and underneath {are} the everlasting arms: and he shall thrust out the enemy from before thee; and shall say, Destroy {them}. Deuteronomy 33:27

So shall they fear the name of the Lord from the west, and his glory from the rising of the sun. When the enemy shall come in like a flood, the Spirit of the Lord shall lift up a standard against him. Isaiah 59:19


*Robert William Service (1874-1958): poet and writer sometimes referred to as "the Bard of the Yukon."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Author of This Blog