Well known is that Jesus Christ offered earthquakes to those who believe as a sign that we are entering into the last days when we see them (earthquakes) increase in frequency and size. They will be like birth pangs, coming closer and closer together as we prepare to enter the Apocalypse.
And great earthquakes shall be in divers places, and famines, and pestilences; and fearful sights and great signs shall there be from heaven." -Luke 21:11
|A C-17 Globemaster III delivers humanitarian aid into the outskirts of Port-au-Prince, Haiti, Jan. 18, 2010. (U.S. Air Force photo/Tech. Sgt. James L. Harper Jr.)[100118-F-4177H-957.JPG]|
Year 2010 was a banner year for major earthquakes whereby the 7.0 magnitude January earthquake in Haiti produced almost all the earthquake fatalities and injuries suffered for that year. The nation was essentially destroyed.
A magnitude-8.8 earthquake near Chile in February was 500 times more powerful than the one in Haiti but it produced less deaths, about 577 compared to Haiti's 200,000+. China's April earthquake was 6.9 magnitude and killed nearly 3,000 people.
July 2010 brought a 6.6 earthquake in Alaska’s Aleutian Islands and, thankfully, created no casualties. California experienced a 6.5 in January with some injuries and no casualties.
Around Thanksgiving last year, an unusual earthquake hit New York, a 3.9 which caused no damage or fatalities. Also unusual that winter were the earthquakes in New Jersey and Washington, D.C., where the shaking was enough to be felt but caused no real damage.
Earthquakes occur frequently throughout the world each year but are rarely detected because of their very small size. What was unusual about 2010 is that there were 22 seismic events which measured at 7.0 magnitude or higher, the largest number since 1968 according to reports from the the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). The previous year of 2009 showed 17 earthquakes that were over magnitude 7.0. Neither year, however, competes with 1943 when there were 32 major earthquakes.
Interesting are USGS statistics which show that the number of magnitude 5.0 to 9.9 earthquakes in 2010 was 2,117. The number of such quakes has increased considerably from ten years previous, which was 1,505 in year 2000.
Largest earthquakes in year 2011
- January: Argentina--7.0;Chile--7.1; Pakistan--7.2; Loyalty Islands (New Caledonia)--7.0
- In February, the largest earthquake magnitude was 6.8 near Chile.
- March, April, July, and September found several devastating earthquakes in Japan, the largest being an unbelievable 9.0 on March 11.
- In May, Loyalty Islands were hit once again with the month's largest earthquake, 6.8 magnitude.
- June: Alaska was hit with a 7.2 earthquake.
- July: Kermadec Islands (part of New Zealand) region was hit with a 7.6.
- August: Vanuatu experienced two massive earthquakes, 7.0 and 7.1 magnitudes, and another one in September at 7.0 magnitude.
- October: Eastern Turkey was hit with a 7.1 and Kermadec Islands experienced another quake at 7.4.
- November found Oklahoma hit by small, but larger than normal for the location, earthquakes.
“Perhaps we ought to consider the possibility that their increase is an indicator that creation is ‘groaning’ ever more ‘loudly’ as we come closer to the tribulation period.”
First published on Examiner
Topic Daily Globe Topic